Magic Mushrooms: Risks and Dangers

Magic mushrooms may seem more harmless compared to “harder” drugs or narcotics such as meth, MDMA or heroin. However, it contains psilocybin, which is a controlled substance and can be dangerous as well.

Throughout the centuries and across many civilizations, many people have used plants for their naturally mind-altering effects. These psychoactive plants have been used for recreation and even medicinal purposes in the ancient times.

 

magic mushrooms dangers risks

What are Magic Mushrooms?

Magic mushrooms, or hallicinogenic mushrooms, can be found growing in the wild and can be eaten fresh. It may also be dried, cooked, or turned into powder form. Once ingested, the psilocybin interacts with the parts of the brain responsible for sensory distortion, relaxation, and mind or perception alteration.

The thing with this type of mushroom, however, is that the effects and¬†intensity of the “trip” can vary greatly from one user to another. This means that it’s unpredictable and the effects may also be different, which increases the risks.

One of the most popular of these, which is still quite prevalent today, is what is known as magic mushrooms. Magic mushrooms contain psilocybin, a psychoactive substance that causes:

  • visual hallucinations
  • confusion of the senses
  • distortions of perception of time, space, or place
  • heightened emotions
  • heightened feeling of intimacy or one-ness with others
  • unusual insights or philosophy or spirituality
  • visions

However, aside from these, magic mushrooms may also cause unpleasant or dangerous reactions, such as nausea, vomiting, panic attacks, numbness, excessive sweating, and psychosis. While it may have been useful, the fact that it can also be addictive and risky outweigh the benefits.

In fact, psilocybin is a Schedule I controlled substance, which means it’s illegal to sell, use or possess.

Other dangers of magic mushrooms include:

  • poor judgment
  • delusion
  • confusion
  • restlessness
  • anxiety attacks
  • panic attacks
  • a sense of being separated from the body
  • psychosis

Overdosing on these “shrooms” can happen. The results can be fatal, especially if users accidentally ingest the toxic species of mushrooms.

If you know anyone who abuses magic mushrooms, addiction may develop, and when this happens, professional help may be in order.


For help with addiction to hallucinogenic substances as well as with any narcotics, contact us at Bridges of Hope: 09175098826.

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *