The world around you can influence how you behave and feel. If you’re someone who is in recovery, your environment can also make or break your recovery from addiction.
If you’re someone who have just come out of rehab or want to overcome an alcohol, drug, or behavioral addiction, here are some tips on how you can make your environment ideal.
How to Make Your Environment Ideal for Your Recovery
- Maximize peace around you. This is especially true during your first few weeks in recovery. When your home is peaceful, it can serve as your refuge from the crazy, noisy, and erratic world around you. It can also help you relax and de-stress.
- Eliminate clutter. Clutter can stress you even just by looking. It can also make your mind less peaceful and focused. By eliminating the unnecessary things in your home–and in your life–you can focus on things that really matter.
- Remove reminders. Get rid of any traces of paraphernalia and other items or things in your life that may remind you of your life in active addiction.
- Be with nature. If you can’t always go out and be with nature, you can bring nature in. Have a garden or bring in a houseplant or two. These things can do wonders to your health and well-being.
- Reassess your relationships. It’s not just the objects around you that can influence how successful you are in your journey to recovery. You also have to look at the people around you. Do they have your best interests in mind or are they there with you only because addiction connects you? Stay away from people that may derail you from your recovery. Instead, surround yourself with trusted family and friends who can help you on your journey.
By making small changes in your life, you can make your environment more positive, more relaxing, and healthier so you can continue with your recovery.